I am building a 20 Mhz RF receiver out of the NASA radio JOVE instruction manual and they have recommended the use of LM387 as an audio amplifier. SA602AN as mixer IC:

enter image description here

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ So what is your question? Why do you want to replace those ICs? What's the problem? $\endgroup$ – Marcus Müller Oct 24 '16 at 16:49

LM387 is just a really old, ordinary op-amp as far as I can tell. It has a funny pin configuration, so if you have a PCB already made you need to make modifications. I suggest cutting the traces, scraping off the solder mask, and soldering wires in place with the right layout. Look for datasheets on the internet for the pin configuration. For old stuff Google, for modern stuff I prefer an online reseller like Mouser. Datasheets are free even if you don't buy the part.

Any cheap opamp will work. TL072 is very common. NE5532 is also not hard to find and it can drive headphones a little louder. Either costs less than $1 USD. Or just buy whatever is available from your favorite electronics source. If you want to be safe, buy a DIP socket and then if you get the wrong op-amp you can easily swap it for another.

The SA602 is still widely available so I would stick with that. It also goes by the name NE602. Don't search for the "AN" at the end: it will severely limit your options. Just be sure you are getting the right package (like DIP8).


The SA602AN looks to be still available from many of the usual distributors. (Check octopart.com or findchips.com to see which distributors have them in stock.) The LM387 is apparently long obsolete. A quick web search didn't reveal any pin-for-pin compatible parts still being manufactured, so if you're using the printed circuit board from the kit, then you'll need an actual LM387; they aren't hard to find on eBay. If you're building your own circuit, either by creating your own printed circuit board or wiring the circuit by hand, then there are various alternatives. A quick web search for "lm387 equivalent" suggests the NE5532 or the OPA2350 as potential substitutes, which may require minor circuit alterations. Good luck.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.