Skip to main content

Questions tagged [international-operating]

Matters related to amateur radio operation beyond the jurisdiction of a ham's licensing entity.

Filter by
Sorted by
Tagged with
2 votes
3 answers

Do I need to be a US citizen to be covered by CEPT when I travel and use a radio?

Ok this possibly is an obscure question. I am currently a British citizen with a US Greencard, so I have “permanent residence”. I have a general class ham license in the US. I have no UK ham license. ...
Natalie Downe's user avatar
4 votes
1 answer

Statistics on ham operators age, internationally

Are there statistics that cover more than the USA regarding how the age of licensed amateurs members of national ham organizations is distributed? All I get are questionable sources on the internet ...
Marcus Müller's user avatar
2 votes
2 answers

3rd party rules

Why are there 3rd party rules? lists the countries we are allowed to pass 3rd party messages from. The fcc regulations specifically state that 3rd ...
mbond's user avatar
  • 97
2 votes
2 answers

Operating on the US-Canada Border

How would one identify if one were operating from a location directly on the US/Canada border? Wxxxx/VEx or Wxxxx? How about POTA? If I were to operate a POTA twofer on the boundary at the border of ...
AI7OW's user avatar
  • 324
4 votes
2 answers

Can an American General licensee operate in Portugal during a visit?

I am an American and I have an American General License (k8axf), and I tried to make sense of all the legal documents to see if I can operate while visiting Portugal and I think I can under a CEPT CAT ...
Alan K8AXF's user avatar
6 votes
4 answers

What nations still require Morse code testing for Amateur radio license?

Going a bit further I'll ask, for which licenses (all or just for licenses for HF operation) and at what speed (5 WPM, 10 WPM, none specified)? The reason I ask is because every so often I'll see ...
MacGuffin's user avatar
  • 359
13 votes
1 answer

How do Radio Regulations and Frequency Allocations Apply to an Ionosonde?

An ionosonde is a special HF radio transmitter that periodically transmits a signal that sweeps across a large portion or the entire HF spectrum to identify the propagation of radio signal in the ...
比尔盖子's user avatar
2 votes
2 answers

Can I use my US callsign to transmit while in El Salvador?

I am traveling to El Salvador later this fall, and was wonder if there is any reciprocal agreement that would let me use a US callsign while there? If so, what privileges would I have there based on ...
natevw - AF7TB's user avatar
5 votes
3 answers

Can I take and use Baofeng UV-82 in Norway?

Planning to go for a camping trip. According to this document (in Norwegian but easy to understand), I can use a radio running PMR446 and KDR 444 freqs. Baofeng can do this. The question is: is the ...
Alexander's user avatar
  • 321
10 votes
2 answers

Full UK license visiting US: Can I use frequencies in US but not UK license?

E.g.: 7.2-7.3MHz are Region 2 but not Region 1. My license is "from" Region 1. 1.25 meter band is not available in the UK Operating from aircraft is not permitted in the UK. Would it be if I visited ...
Thomas's user avatar
  • 754
9 votes
1 answer

Which international regulation allows reception, archiving or republishing of amateur transmissions?

I remember from my amateur radio course, and old versions of our local national regulation documents, that anyone is allowed to receive amateur radio transmissions. It's been claimed that ...
oh7lzb's user avatar
  • 2,391
3 votes
2 answers

Is it all right to call CQ to a foreign country in their own language?

I have been asked by an Arabic speaker here in UK if it is legal, or desirable, to call CQ in Arabic if his beam is directed that way. Please, what answer should I give? Is there a general rule that ...
Harry Weston's user avatar
1 vote
1 answer

International Broadcast - database programs? [closed]

In my search to identify the stations I can (barely) hear on my small shortwave setup, I discovered the HFCC. They have a tool that takes your location and UTC time, and provides a list of stations ...
Alan Campbell's user avatar
9 votes
2 answers

What regulatory issues/differences should I be aware of as a US ham vacationing in Europe (Poland)?

I am a US ham with an Extra Class ticket. If I were to go Poland (or possibly some other part of Europe) on vacation and bring some radios, what legal stuff do I need to know about? I know that my ...
krzysz00 KF5SOQ's user avatar
13 votes
4 answers

Can I operate in the United Kingdom with a US license?

Can my license from the United States be used to operate while I'm in the United Kingdom?
Timtech's user avatar
  • 2,336
12 votes
5 answers

Does an amateur radio licence work worldwide? [closed]

Lets say that I get my amateur radio license in country A and then some time later I move to country B. Will I need to get a new license on country B or does the license obtained in country A works ...
kR105's user avatar
  • 363