I have an American Amateur Extra Class licence (AC1DM) and I'm going to Portugal for a few days. Can I operate there with my licence? I'm not an American citizen.


After reading the various online sources, it looks like the answer to your question is no.

US amateurs can operate in CEPT countries, but a requirement is that they be US citizens.

Your user name suggests that you hold a licence in Argentina, but sadly Argentina is not a party to the CEPT agreements.

If your visit is only for a few days, it might not be worth it to try other options. It might be possible to get a reciprocal licence, and if you were resident in Portugal or travelling there often it would be worth considering. But if it’s just for a single trip it might not be feasible.

| improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ That's what I thought. I have citizenships in Argentina and Spain and ham radio licences in Argentina, the US and UK. With all of this, due to the CEPT agreements requiring citizenship, I cannot operate while traveling abroad. $\endgroup$ – pupeno - M0ONP ACI1DM LU5ARC Nov 6 '17 at 7:02
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Aha! The UK is (currently, anyway) still in the EU, and is also a party to the CEPT agreements. If you look on the RSGB (UK national society) website, it does NOT mention citizenship as a requirement: rsgb.org/main/operating/licensing-novs-visitors/… $\endgroup$ – Scott Earle Nov 6 '17 at 7:31
  • $\begingroup$ So you should be able to use your UK license in Portugal, under the CEPT agreement. $\endgroup$ – Scott Earle Nov 6 '17 at 7:32
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Oh, that's good to know. I don't have a full license yet, so, I won't be able to use it in this trip, but early next year I should manage to upgrade all the way to full license. $\endgroup$ – pupeno - M0ONP ACI1DM LU5ARC Nov 6 '17 at 7:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.