If not, what can be used as mode of communication for group trekking. It is very urgent and important Please suggest some better options for walkie talkies

  • $\begingroup$ Hello, and welcome to ham.stackexchange.com! Please consider taking the tour to get the most from this site. $\endgroup$ – Scott Earle Jun 21 '17 at 10:02
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Saying it is "urgent" is generally considered rude on free help sites like these. $\endgroup$ – Marcus Müller Jun 22 '17 at 12:53
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Yes it is. We are all unpaid volunteers. $\endgroup$ – Mike Waters Jun 22 '17 at 15:42

As you say in your post, that this is urgent, there are plenty of options for you to find out information quickly:

Other than that, you can obviously download the National Frequency Allocation Plan. You probably want some accompanying documentation to fully understand this.

I am not an expert in the legalities in your country, so you will have to do some digging yourself.

Lastly you can see if there is a local ham radio club. There might be someone near you, who is able to answer your questions quickly.

There is a good chance of the following:

  • There are license-free allocations, but the Baofeng radios are not type approved for such.
  • You may use the Baofeng, but only with appropriate license, which may require you to go through an application process.
  • You may use the Baofeng, but only on Amateur allocations, with an amateur license, which you do not state in your post that you have one.

Based on how you asked the question, I guess you probably want to stick to the "license-free type-approved" use, which means "general walkie-talkie" equipment.

| improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ Does India require "type approval" of transmitters? $\endgroup$ – Glenn W9IQ Jun 22 '17 at 19:42
  • $\begingroup$ From what I read in online papers; I believe so. $\endgroup$ – Edwin van Mierlo Jun 22 '17 at 21:19

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.