Can I use amateur radio frequency for commercial purpose (after acquiring ham license), expecting that it would be congestion free band and give me good broadcasting performance compared to other congested ISM bands?

[Being very specific, I am now broadcasting over WiFi 2.4 GHz band. its a broadcast and thus no ACK (acknowledge) return signal is used. Due to congested band its quality is sometimes poor. Can I switch this broadcast to armature radio frequencies e.g. 2300-2310 MHz or 2390-2450 MHz wherever available]

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ The answer probably “you would have to make a special request and it would almost certainly be denied”, but please specify the relevant jurisdiction (country) in the tags of your question. $\endgroup$
    – Kevin Reid AG6YO
    May 26, 2017 at 15:21
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ You'd probably have better luck getting a commercial license, if your purpose is commercial. $\endgroup$ May 26, 2017 at 18:33

1 Answer 1


This is answered somewhat in this question already, and the answer is no. And I will add some passages about the broadcasting part.

To quote the relevant rule §97.113:

§97.113 Prohibited transmissions. (a) No amateur station shall transmit:

(1) Communications specifically prohibited elsewhere in this part;

(2) Communications for hire or for material compensation, direct or indirect, paid or promised, except as otherwise provided in these rules;

(3) Communications in which the station licensee or control operator has a pecuniary interest, including communications on behalf of an employer, with the following exceptions:


(5) Communications, on a regular basis, which could reasonably be furnished alternatively through other radio services.

(b) An amateur station shall not engage in any form of broadcasting, nor may an amateur station transmit one-way communications except as specifically provided in these rules; [...]

There are commercial bands specifically for this purpose. You can apply for a license to use some frequeny exclusively, and you won't have to deal with interference. But of course you have to pay to play.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .