I need some advice on setting up my first HF station in a somewhat restricted townhouse community. If I had a detached house with a backyard I’d probably already have everything setup. But with this townhouse I keep second guessing what to do.
- Freehold (I can attach things to the outside. But wish to remain discreet.)
- 4 story
- No back yard
- Deck is located above the car garage
- There is a small balcony outside the 4th floor master bedroom
- No attic
- No basement
- Radio: ICOM IC-7300
- Power Supply: Astron RS-35M
- Grounding (no place to install ground rod(s))
The magnetic loop keeps coming up in my research for situations like this. And I have also read some of the SGC documentation for their Smart Tuners. If I understand correctly I could using a SG-237 and do the following without the need for a earth or counterpoise. Based on any of these I should be able to do some variation with my outdoor space (deck and balcony),
Do you think going with a magnetic loop like those from MFJ is a better option that doing one of the many wire antenna options with a SG-237? People seem to like MFJ magnetic loops other than some quality control issues and learning to turn it. The reviews of the SG-237 are also positive.