I am looking to upgrade my station soon by buying a Yaesu FTM-3200dr mobile 2m radio. I am limited on funds for radio and I don't want to get the wrong type of antenna connector and wast a bunch of money. If anyone knows what type of antenna connector to get or if anyone has an antenna recommendation for this radio.

  • $\begingroup$ Is this for at home or in your car? If your car, are you willing to drill a hole in it? $\endgroup$
    – Glenn W9IQ
    May 16, 2017 at 23:30
  • $\begingroup$ It is for my home, I am looking for something small probably. $\endgroup$
    – KM4WDK
    May 17, 2017 at 23:28
  • $\begingroup$ Looks like a very nice radio. You might want to do some more shopping and pick up a nice name brand VHF/UHF radio in a similar price range, because so many repeaters have moved up to the 440 band. $\endgroup$
    – SDsolar
    May 18, 2017 at 8:02

1 Answer 1


Page 13 of the Operating Manual says that radio has a fairly standard SO-239 jack and you need a 50 ohm antenna cable with the matching PL-259 plug. This is also commonly (and confusingly) known as a UHF connector.

As far as a specific antenna recommendation, my favorite is the $25 N9TAX Slim-Jim; just make sure you select "UHF Male pl-259" for the connector. If you decide to go with a dual-band 2m/440 radio or think you might upgrade to one in the future, it's worth the extra couple bucks to get the dual band version of that antenna.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .