A ham is initially licensed in Hawaii as KH6ABC (example only). If he subsequently moves to the mainland, can he keep his geographically restricted "KH" call sign or must it be changed?

  • $\begingroup$ btw, KH is not geographically restricted. It simply indicates where the operator was licensed. $\endgroup$ – SDsolar Feb 25 '17 at 8:24
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Yes, KH, KL, KP, WH, WL, or WP are geographically restricted to Hawaii, Alaska, and the Pacific islands respectively. I can live in the 3 region in the US and still request a 6 call sign if I want to. I cannot, however, request a KH unless I actually live in Hawaii. $\endgroup$ – Lance Feb 25 '17 at 15:32
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ You are correct, @Lance. In that sense they are geographically restricted. Upvote. I interpreted the OP to mean concern about operating outside of Hawaii. $\endgroup$ – SDsolar Feb 26 '17 at 0:02
  • $\begingroup$ I know this thread is more than a year old, but I was involved in a similar debate in a Chilean FB group and just found this one. I believe Scott is right, but since Hawaii, Alaska, etc. are different "entities," shouldn't it be more appropriate to add the temporary prefix instead? I mean, if KH6ABC is operating from California and wants to state their current location, shouldn't they identify themselves as W6/KH6ABC? (during a Contest, for example). Or, conversely, if I'm operating from Alaska, shouldn't I identify myself as KL7/W6EUH? $\endgroup$ – Marcelo W6EUH Dec 15 '18 at 21:02

He or she can certainly keep the KH callsign and use it anywhere in the US and territories. (I wonder if he or she thought that when operating in Samoa? There are two sides there, as you probably know. But since the non-American side is a territory the same rules apply.)

Common convention is to append it with the location where the station (even a HT) is operating.

So, if in California, you might identify on SSB as "KH6ABC slant 6" so people won't pile up wanting Hawaii for WAS.

If in Morse code, you use the slash character, as in "KH6ABC/6" (-..-.)

But these are conventions, not rules. So it is perfectly all right to just use your native callsign wherever you go in the US.

Outside the US, especially for events (such as climbing Mt. Everest) the entire expedition is generally given a callsign just for that event. This is where WARC comes in. It is not complicated but needs to be taken into account by the expedition leader.

Inside the US it is pretty simple. Myself, I am AL7** and though am in California, ID myself as AL7**.

Where it gets interesting is if you to Alaska - where it would be "KH6ABC/L7" or "KH6ABC slant L7." (L7 means Alaska, whether a wl7, kl7 or an al7).

The FCC requires that you identify yourself. That's the end of the story with them. Their goal is to encourage the hobby, not to fine people like with broadcast stations.

FYI, they are serious about ID requirements. Simply keying up a repeater to see if you can reach it does not fit the criteria for lawful identification. Enforcement actions are rare but can happen if it is deemed to be harmful interference.

Here is an interesting story along those lines, in which an operator was fined for failure to identify: ID requirements

In a case like this, the operator should have said something like "AL7EM Test" and the fine could have been averted.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Thank you for the detailed explanation. You confirmed how I believed it to be. I know in the US, you keep your region even if you move. I thought the WH, WL, & WP prefixes might be more controlled but you confirmed that they're not. Thanks again! $\endgroup$ – Lance Feb 25 '17 at 15:31
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ L7 is a prefix belonging to Argentina, not the US. You would need to identify yourself as "KH6ABC/KL7" or similar for that to be factually correct. ac6v.com/prefixes.htm $\endgroup$ – Scott Earle Mar 1 '17 at 0:17
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ L7 is not a prefix. W, K, A, N are USA prefixes. The L7 afterwards specifies the region, to differentiate it from a normal 7. For instance, I am AL7EM - Advanced, Alaska. A7EM it would be from the contiguous USA, not from the far north. Just like a KH6 means Hawaii, but a K6 could be California. $\endgroup$ – SDsolar Mar 1 '17 at 4:05
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ A7 belongs to Qatar, and L7 belongs to Argentina. If you are AL7EM and are in Hawaii, you should identify as AL7EM/KH6. If you are KH6ABC operating in Alaska, you should identify yourself as KH6ABC/KL7. But importantly, your example of A7EM is nonsensical - the "non-Alaskan" US equivalent would probably be AA7EM (or AB7EM ... all the way to AK7EM, remembering that AM-AZ belong to other countries) - I also downvoted this answer because it contains misleading information. If you edit it to correct that information, I will remove the down vote $\endgroup$ – Scott Earle Jul 3 '17 at 3:19
  • $\begingroup$ @SDsolar, I believe that Scott is correct, even though he is not a US citizen (and under the FCC rules). Could you point us to a website that says it's legal to end with /L7? (such as FCC or ARRL) $\endgroup$ – Mike Waters Jul 4 '17 at 0:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.