Yesterday I saw the following antenna:
I am very puzzled, at first glance it seems a simple dish but:
- The mesh is really wide (low frequency?).
- It is pointing to Zenith. I think that most dish antennas rest in zenith position to offer less resistance to the wind. However, in that case it seems that the antenna can be moved just in AZ, and not in EL. What do you track pointing to the zenith?
- It has no feeder? There is a small box that I was unable to figure out what exactly was, but definitely it was not a usual feeder.
- Cables obstructing the aperture? Just take a close look and you will see how there are lines between the antenna focal point and the branch ends. (Although they could be non-conductive material, I was not able to distinguish them from that distance).
- Last but not least, taking a closer look to the image I noticed that the antenna was not a dish! Please, see how the part pointing towards 2 o'clock is not meshed and thus, the antenna is neither a dish!
I did an extensive Google search and asked friends but no one had seen an antenna like this before. Any of you has a clue?