So, from what I hear, the FCC has done away with mailing out paper certificates. The way I read the regs, I'm required to have an official paper certificate either on my person or at the station I'm operating. I know I can print out copies from online, but those are clearly marked as "copy" and are not considered official.

What do I have to do in order to transmit legally once my renewal goes through?


Which part of the regulations talk about the paper certificate?

I didn't read every word but I searched part 97 for the words paper, person, certificate etc and didn't find any reference to it.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ You are correct. My copy was out of date. I found a September 2014 (newer than mine) version which states (in station license section): "The station apparatus must be under the physical control of a person named in an amateur station license grant on the ULS consolidated license database or..." The control operator section has similar language. Looks like being named in the ULS is a complete replacement for certificates for legal operation. Now, proof for tower builds, license plates, etc, that's another thing... I'd imagine the unofficial copies should be accepted though. $\endgroup$ Oct 20 '15 at 21:53

You need to register with the ULS (Universal Licensing System) which is part of the FCC's web site. You can print a copy of your license which states 'official copy'.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.