So, from what I hear, the FCC has done away with mailing out paper certificates. The way I read the regs, I'm required to have an official paper certificate either on my person or at the station I'm operating. I know I can print out copies from online, but those are clearly marked as "copy" and are not considered official.

What do I have to do in order to transmit legally once my renewal goes through?


2 Answers 2


Which part of the regulations talk about the paper certificate?

I didn't read every word but I searched part 97 for the words paper, person, certificate etc and didn't find any reference to it.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ You are correct. My copy was out of date. I found a September 2014 (newer than mine) version which states (in station license section): "The station apparatus must be under the physical control of a person named in an amateur station license grant on the ULS consolidated license database or..." The control operator section has similar language. Looks like being named in the ULS is a complete replacement for certificates for legal operation. Now, proof for tower builds, license plates, etc, that's another thing... I'd imagine the unofficial copies should be accepted though. $\endgroup$ Oct 20, 2015 at 21:53

You need to register with the ULS (Universal Licensing System) which is part of the FCC's web site. You can print a copy of your license which states 'official copy'.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .