I want to make a application with my Raspberry Pi along with a XBee module. I am going to use it in public places and in my own home.

The question is, do I need a radio licence (UK) to use the XBee in my home and/or in public places? I want to know this before I even buy a XBee (won't be until later). When this is in public it will be a two-way communication between me and my friend.


People complaniing that my friend is wrong and needs to do his test again don't need to any more. He didn't hear that I was talking about the zigbee/xbee he just thought it was transmitting data via FM radio waves. Sorry about the confusion.


3 Answers 3


If I am not wrong, XBee works at 2.4 GHz, which is a free band used worldwide. You do not need a license to use this frequency.

However, there are some other frequencies which need a license. I would still recommend you to search the country-specific frequencies free to use.



According to Wikipedia (which is never wrong?), these devices implement IEEE 802.15.4, which defines among other things the frequencies upon which they operate.


From that page, there are three radio bands those devices can use: 868-868.6MHz (Europe only), 902-928MHz (North America only) and 2400–2483.5MHz (Worldwide).

The IEEE 802.15.4 standard is licence-free.

As long as the device is not set to use the North America-only band, you should be good to go.

Do note that the 2400MHz band has quite a few other legitimate (also licence-free) users, such as IEEE 802.11 in various guises (WiFi), Bluetooth, and microwave ovens - in a 'noisy' environment you might want to try using the 868MHz band, if you have that option on your devices.


I'm not from the UK, but stumbled upon the following thread regarding the same issue you're asking about, so make sure to read it, might come in handy:


  • $\begingroup$ All of that seems for re-sale. What if this is for me and one other person? Or am I getting confused? $\endgroup$
    – iProgram
    Commented Mar 22, 2015 at 22:29
  • $\begingroup$ As long as you stay in the ISM band (I think that's 868MHz for Europe) with those Xbee/Zigbee's you should be fine without a license. Google 'Class License' for details, or here for a Zigbee whitepaper: digi.com/pdf/wp_zigbee.pdf $\endgroup$
    – captcha
    Commented Mar 23, 2015 at 0:15

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .