Let's suppose that Person A, who does not have a license, would like to contact Person B, who is licensed, over an amateur radio frequency. I know that under certain circumstances, Person A would be permitted to transmit as long as Person B was able to ensure that all rules were followed, but would this be permitted if Person A and B weren't together? What are the laws regarding this?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Based on some of your other questions on other StackExchange sites, you may be asking in the context of the USA's FCC regulations? I've gone ahead and added those tags but feel free to fix if I guessed incorrectly. $\endgroup$ Nov 23 at 21:33
  • $\begingroup$ As I understand it person B would also have to be in control of the transmitter. $\endgroup$
    – Gil
    Nov 24 at 2:44
  • $\begingroup$ Not exactly a dup, but you'll find the answer here: ham.stackexchange.com/questions/16784/… $\endgroup$ Nov 24 at 4:42
  • $\begingroup$ The key terminology her is "control operator". Both ends must be controlled by a licensed control operator. As long as both ends are in the US (or in a country that supports third party traffic), it doesn't matter who is talking, only who is controlling the radio. $\endgroup$
    – user10489
    Nov 26 at 13:16


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .