I bought a UV-5R Plus (8 watt radio in the same casing as a normal Baofeng), and I've noticed some strange behaviors.
Occasionally when I key up on my local repeater, the radio turns itself off and on again on its own.
In some conditions, the radio gives me painful shocks if I key up while touching one of two places: The negative battery terminal, and the little chunk of metal for attaching a strap. It feels like I'm touching a very hot surface, but the pieces of metal themselves aren't hot at all.
Now, for the biggest issue.
Sometimes I get random bursts of static coming through the radio for seemingly no reason. There are several strange things about this static that don't make sense:
- The static is present even if I detach the antenna
- The static is not affected by turning on a receive PL tone
- The static is not affected by changing the squelch filter. It sounds exactly the same whether squelch is all the way down or all the way up.
- The static usually happens in the same general areas in my house.
- The static also happens outside my house, even far away.
- It generally happens when I'm walking near houses, and it has happened so many times that I've memorized exactly where it happens. It's always in pretty much the same places.
- Sometimes when I'm outside and the radio is on the ground, it begins rapidly receiving bursts of static. There are about two per second and they last about a fraction of a second each.
- The static completely blocks out any received transmission - no signal can get through it
- I have experimentally walked into and out of one of these areas while transmitting. The person I was talking to told me there was no change in my transmission - clear the whole way through
- These "Static areas" vary in size, but they are usually between 3 and 8 feet (estimating).
- There is one in my bedroom near the wall, and it's about 2 feet. It has a roughly circular shape coming from the wall, and doesn't seem to be affected by radio height.
- There is one in my backyard that is fairly long. It is about 3 feet wide by roughly 10 feet long. It gets considerably worse the closer I get to the ground.
- I have occasionally found areas out in open fields, again roughly 3-8 feet and a somewhat circular shape.
Can anyone tell me what's going on?
EDIT: I thought I'd add, I have a 5W radio by a different company as well, and that radio is not affected by any of these issues. I also have a regular UV-5R, and it does not have any of these issues either.
- Radio: Baofeng UV-5R Plus
- Power: 8W
- Squelch: Doesn't matter
- Antenna: The long antenna that came with the radio
- Frequency: Doesn't seem to matter, maybe slightly worse in the 2m band because I'm using a 2m antenna.