In in Russia I saw a phone cable called "field cable" (провод полевой П-274-М). It is a loosely twisted pair with some iron strains added alongside with copper ones.

Field cable Another field cable

I tried to lookup something similar but I failed to find it. I used phrases like "field cable" and "military cable" but got nothing like that.

Such cable is really good to make a wire antennas on trees because it has teflon-like surface and tolerant against harsh environment.

  • $\begingroup$ Perhaps it's this: everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-C/MIL-C-13294C_12128 ? $\endgroup$
    – Buck8pe
    Jan 18 at 9:49
  • $\begingroup$ I searched for "copper cable with steel strands" and did not find a clear English term for what you show. Instead that found something slightly different called "copperclad" where all the strands are copper-plated steel instead of a mix of strands. Similarly "reinforced stranded copper wire" didn't really turn up much either. $\endgroup$ Jan 18 at 18:47
  • $\begingroup$ How wide are the two cables, including its insulation? $\endgroup$
    – Mike Waters
    Jan 18 at 18:51
  • $\begingroup$ Looks like something similar but combining aluminum with steel is common for power transmission: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…. Searching instead of "ACSR" to see if there was any analogous "CCSR cable" led to a maybe more common term "Aerial Services Wires" which "are supported by either an integral steel wire, glass fibers imbedded in the jacket, or by the use of high tensile copper-clad steel conductors." $\endgroup$ Jan 18 at 18:53

That is WD-1 or WD-1A military telephone line.

Lots of hams use it for switchable-direction Beverage receiving antennas, and with good results.

The steel strands provide extra tensile strength.


I am basing this mostly off of web searches rather than industry experience but it looks like there's two potential terms for a related cable. At least related as to the general purpose — reinforcing conductive wires to better hold their own weight — if not exact construction/materials:

Again, neither of my example links show the exact kind of wire you show but I think you were primarily wanting some ideas for what this sort of reinforced-for-hanging is called in general and I hope this helps!

  • $\begingroup$ Also, it appears that the iron (i.e. "steel") parts included more for reinforcement would be called the "messenger" strands or wires: youtube.com/watch?v=oVofEtcL3Pw $\endgroup$ Jan 18 at 19:21
  • $\begingroup$ Whether or not the lower cable is pole-to-house telephone drop cable depends on its size, which @zoonman hasn't yet answered. Also, it's stranded, and all the drop cable I've ever seen has solid conductors. $\endgroup$
    – Mike Waters
    Jan 19 at 17:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.