I conducted an experiment today using a prototype copper wire 2m dipole at a ground level base station (noted on images) and a FT2D HT with an SRH77CA antenna. I recorded my transmissions using a laptop at the base station, and recorded my GPS coordinates as I moved.
The base station received all of my transmissions up to ~2km at a signal strength of ~S9. However, after 0.5km the signal became unreadable (signal report would be 1/5).
What might be the cause of this lack of readability, but strong reception? Could it be the dense steel/glass/concrete disrupting propagation path? I would have guessed that this would cause the signal strength to be diminished in proportion to the readability.
What kind of things could I do to improve readability of my signal (Maybe it's really just getting an antenna on the roof instead of on ground floor)? - Thanks! KC9PPX/HB3XRS
Weather condition: clear skies
I repeated the experiment again today, but this time I connected the FT2D to my homebrew dipole to act as my base station instead of my FT857.
This time I carried an FT-4X HT with a factory rubber duck. Again inside my pack next to a bag of water. The signal was still unreadable for all transmissions beyond the first checkpoint (same as before). But I can hear one or two words in some of the static, which is an improvement over the last time I ran the experiment. Could have something to do with putting my homebrew dipole on the FT2D!
Weather condition: clear skies.
I think the next time I run this experiment I will put my antenna, radio and computer on the roof of my building. I hadn't thought of using the FT2D as a base station before, it's much more portable and easier to hide than the 857. My guess is this will make a massive difference in readability, but let's see.