I'm thinking about buying a 70' self supporting tower that I can see had a little rust here and there. Besides minor rust is there anything I should ask the seller before I buy?

  • $\begingroup$ What is the make and model number? $\endgroup$ Aug 31, 2019 at 17:51
  • $\begingroup$ All I know is it is a Titan 72' $\endgroup$ Aug 31, 2019 at 18:02
  • $\begingroup$ This appears to be their website. $\endgroup$ Aug 31, 2019 at 19:19
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I've never done something like that, but seeing that it is basically a building, and there's engineers that appraise/assess the state of buildings for selling/compensation reasons, I'd ask one to write an expert report. Asking might mean paying him money. $\endgroup$ Sep 2, 2019 at 14:44

2 Answers 2


You should first ask the manufacturer. They should be able to provide the all-important safety, erection, and guying information.

Study the manual and relevant info first, which probably is available on the manufacturer's website.


I'd be more inclined to ask a local (metal) engineering workshop. I have one near me (Surrey UK) that do a large amount of work for a nearby amusement park. They would be well used to assessing the state of the steel-work underneath the galvanising (I guess it is galvanised). If you pay for their advise you should then have some come-back if things go wrong. I would also take into account where I was going to site it, in particular where and on what it would fall should the worst happen. Also - it is described as self-supporting - does this classification apply to all geographical areas? I am thinking here of wind-loading? A point relevenat for when you put aerials up there. Oh, and don't forget the base/foundation; the size of which is dependent on the last factor together with the type of soil in your area.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .