Consider a situation as below. I am stay in a farm field, which my house is 9.4km distance from the nearest and the only one BTS (Base Transceiver System), a cellular antenna for transmit and receive signal of 2G/3G network. Measurement I did using Google. In between my house and the BTS, there is hill which block direct signal to the house. If I climb to a three near my house around 8 meter high, I will get signal around 93dBm (up and down). Then I think to make an outdoor parabolic antenna which will be connected by a coax cable to an indoor omni antenna which will serve 360 degree inside the house 5 meter radius. The diagram is as in the picture below. The outdoor antenna itself will compensate the cable loss plus will give more gain. I expect I will get around 90 dBm signal strength after installing the antenna. For now, forget about the antenna detail.

To get the signal in the house, I probably need an electronic device located in between outdoor (parabolic) and indoor (omni) antenna. That device is intended to receive that signal from outdoor and send to indoor without any modification or amplification, just to make the indoor antenna will radiate signal. And vice versa also will do, to send the received signal from indoor and delivered to the outdoor antenna and radiate to send it to the BTS.


  • How can I do it? I need as simple as possible electronic device.
  • Or, can I do it without any electronic (active) device?

Edit: What is done in this video is almost the same to my intention. This video makes an external Yagi antenna and attached to the back side of the phone. But I also don't how how it work. There supposed to be there is "transformation" or induction (?) so there is electric transfer from the coax-cable to the antenna. Then, is any one here can guide me to do that way?

schematic diagram

  • $\begingroup$ Please explain what BTS is. $\endgroup$ Commented Aug 8, 2019 at 5:06
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ I do now, but please note that this is primarily an amateur radio website, and you seem to be asking about commercial radio. $\endgroup$ Commented Aug 8, 2019 at 5:30
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ What Mike is saying, is that this is an amateur radio site, but that questions about the technology of radio are also welcome here. However, if you use jargon terms or abbreviations for anything that is outside of the field of amateur radio, you will need to clarify what those are in order for people to understand. I know of two abbreviations BTS (one is a K-pop band, the other is the mass-transit system in Bangkok where I live), and also was confused when I read your question. $\endgroup$
    – Scott Earle
    Commented Aug 8, 2019 at 7:55
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @Sitorus I cannot understand what you are asking. You clearly state what you intend to do, but it appears to have nothing to do with the video you linked to. It sounds like you do not know how to attach the plate to the phone; if so, please clearly state that. Also, PLEASE edit your question to define BTS (not just in comments). FYI, there are many cell-related questions already here; this will likely be closed as being a duplicate but it is not yet clear which existing question is being duplicated :-) $\endgroup$ Commented Aug 8, 2019 at 10:39
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Sounds like you need a cell phone extender. These are commercial devices you can buy for a reasonable amount from common vendors, sold for enhancing cell signals in partially blocked locations. Mount it on a pole 8-10 m up, in a weather tight enclosure, and good to go. $\endgroup$
    – Zeiss Ikon
    Commented Aug 8, 2019 at 12:01


Browse other questions tagged .