I'm trying to assemble a VHF/UHF FM base-station at home. Assuming I have the following pieces of equipment:
- VHF/UHF FM transceiver
- power supply - 30 amps, no meters
- antenna that's resonant on 2m and 70cm and a way to mount it
- proper grounding
- cabling to link them all together
What other gear and equipment, besides the list above, would most hams consider essential or at least highly recommend having at hand? The intended use of the station is local repeater and simplex operation for casual contacts, net participation, and possibly emergency operations (RACES/ARES).
To further clarify what I'm trying to ask, would any of the following be considered essential or at least really really useful to have under the above scenario with the previously mentioned equipment?
- dummy load
- ammeter/multimeter (assuming the power supply doesn't display amperage)
- in-line antenna tuner
- informational resources (maps, log books, etc)