5 wpm is easy to learn and better than nothing in emergency. Speed Morse Coding is fine for "sport competition"
I am trying to find out which is the typical speed for what I call "conversation" and define it with the following questions:
- Are there statistics about the speed distribution?
- Which is the most common speed in wpm for contacts over words in exchange?
- Which is the most common speed in wpm for communication with duration over 5 min?
- Which is the average speed in wpm used for morse coding?
- Which is the median of the speed in wpm for mose coding?
- Which are the terciles or quartiles of the speed for morse coding?
- Is there a standard speed used by NATO, UN or any national military?
- Which is the standard speed for messages sent by machine?
- At which speed starts "speed coding"?
The reason for this question: Using the Koch method you train with the "letter speed" farnsworth compression in wpm which you want to achieve at the end, while step by step decreasing spacing and errors. If you choose a too high speed you may never reach the standard spacing by an acceptable number of errors, if you choose a too low speed, it is difficult to increase your speed later. Therefore one should know which speed is mostly used for longer communication between people who are experienced in sending morse code.