I use a cheap DVBT dongle that I control via RTL-SDR. Right now a very basic setup. The general consensus seems to be that a long usb cable should be used (to keep noise from the computer away from the dongle) and the antenna directly plugged into the dongle (without cable, or a short one, is this because ogf grounding?).

The antenna is only a simply telescoping piece of metal. Using an amplifying antenna that I got my hands on, the reception was better, with the simple antenna I practically only pick up noise. Now I want to have a better reception without spending much money - what should I look for? I want to be able to listen to radio standard radio stations, but also to to use it as a scanner, so I'll probably be looking for a broadband antenna.

The dongle was built for TV, do TV and RF antennas have the same connections?

Edit to add
I have a dongle with a PAL-connector, not an F connector (from comparing with pictures)

  • $\begingroup$ who said 'dongle'? $\endgroup$
    – JMP
    Commented Oct 11, 2015 at 8:21

1 Answer 1


There are a number of broadband receiving antennas marketed specifically as scanner antennas. Without more information on what attributes you specifically need, though, I can't recommend any specific antennas.

Without a picture of the connector, it will be hard to tell you what kind of adaptor to get, but it's unlikely to be a BNC connector, which is the most common type for these types of antennas. Consider posting a new question with an image of the connector and adapter recommendations.

There are a number of PAL to BNC connectors available from many online sources:

enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ AFAIK many/most of the dongles that have TV connectors have European-style Belling-Lee ("PAL") connectors, not US-style F connectors. Adapters are also available but are not the same. $\endgroup$
    – Kevin Reid AG6YO
    Commented Jan 24, 2014 at 19:12
  • $\begingroup$ Ah, I missed that it was a DVBT dongle, you're probably right. $\endgroup$
    – Adam Davis
    Commented Jan 24, 2014 at 19:40
  • $\begingroup$ Yes, it's a PAL connector. $\endgroup$
    – mart
    Commented Jan 24, 2014 at 20:29
  • $\begingroup$ Note that there's also a miniature bellings-lee (PAL) connector that might have been used in the dongle. I don't see easy sources for adapters for those, but image they exist if you have such a connector. $\endgroup$
    – Adam Davis
    Commented Jan 24, 2014 at 20:45

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .