To the extent that FT8 is a way to bring people into the hobby or re-ignite passion among those who haven't been on the air in a while, what's the easiest way to get someone on the air with this new mode? Cost is a factor, but simplicity of components and ability to transceive (not simply send a signal) are relevant too.

It's safe to assume this is someone who has a cell phone, laptop/PC, or Raspberry Pi and can be convinced to take any of these paths.

Bonus points for addressing the US license requirements too.

  • Sorry, but as stated this is mostly going to get product recommendations, which is not a type of question allowed here. If you can restate it in the form of, say, "What is the minimum equipment required for FT8?" then that would be OK. – Kevin Reid AG6YO Oct 19 at 21:14
  • done. – tedder42 Oct 19 at 21:55
  • 1
    When a question is on hold, you should edit it to fix it, not post a variation separately. I've edited this one for you, but since you had a link I assume that you had something specific in mind to refer to from the previous version. – Kevin Reid AG6YO Oct 19 at 22:13

Without getting into specific product recommendations, I believe the simplest way is as follows:

  1. Obtain a license. An amateur license is required for using amateur bands. I am not aware of any non-amateur bands using FT8. A technician-level license is sufficient in USA for VHF and UHF but it looks like a General level license is needed for the HF bands.

  2. Buy a radio. Pretty much any radio. I suspect a cheap HT would work just fine, especially for just starting out. Easier if it has a phono out and a mic in; even easier yet if it has a digital audio out and digital audio in. Of course, more power is more better, but 5 Watts is plenty for talking across many hundreds of miles, especially if you have a good antenna.

  3. Download FT8 software. I am not an expert on this, but it looks like software is freely available here: This software covers many different digital modes in addition to FT8.

  4. Hook the radio up to the computer (or tablet or whatever). You might need a special cable depending on the radio.

  5. Start using FT8.

Once you start working with this, you will quickly see what opportunities exist to make the setup a little better. But this is enough to get started quickly and inexpensively.

  • 1
    Remember that in the US, VHF also includes the 50MHz (6-metre) band, and there’s an awful lot of FT8 on there. So the minimum licence required is actually the Tech. – Scott Earle Oct 22 at 13:50

Your Answer


By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.