Amateur radio (also called ham radio) is the use of designated radio frequency spectra for purposes of private recreation, non-commercial exchange of messages, wireless experimentation, self-training, and emergency communication. Amateurs are licensed by national regulatory bodies around the world.
Questions are expected to be about Amateur radio specifically, or about the technology of radio. For example, questions may be asked here about:
- radio propagation
- antenna design
- RF electronics
- Amateur radio regulations (please specify jurisdiction)
- Amateur radio operating procedure
There are many applications of radio that are not Amateur radio. For example, GMRS, CB, PMR, and all manner of commercial applications. Promoting understanding and skill in radio operation is a core mission of the Amateur service, so if questions about such services can be framed to be about radio in general, then they may be asked here.
Questions may not be asked here about:
- wireless consumer devices (remote controls, low power FM transmitters, general wireless devices)
- internet "radio"
- engaging in activities which are blatantly illegal or generally considered harmful (such as radio jamming or transmitting without a required license)
- shopping recommendations for specific products