Sign up ×
Amateur Radio Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for amateur radio enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Where do you apply for a license to operate on the LTE radio spectrum for amateur radio in the USA? Can this amateur license be used to operate a cell phone independent of a carrier?

share|improve this question
This question appears to be off-topic because it is about commercial cellular phone networks. – Phil Frost Mar 10 '14 at 14:59

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

An amateur radio license only grants privileges on the amateur bands. You would need a different type of license to use other bands. The cell companies pay a premium for the license for their spectrum, and they are almost certainly not interested in relicensing it (if they even could).

Moreover, LTE is just a protocol, so there is no dedicated spectrum for LTE in general. Each company that uses LTE uses their own spectrum, which differs per carrier.

So no, an amateur radio license does not let you run your own cell phone independently of carriers. It grants you privileges to use certain modes (voice, Morse code, etc) on well defined spectrum, but does not grant privileges for what you're asking about.

share|improve this answer
thank you I appreciate it – iphoneguy38440 Mar 10 '14 at 3:20
Note that depending on your country, you may apply for a test license. e.g. in Germany you can get a time/geography limited license for test/research/events (usually a fee of 100-200EUR), if you provide enough documentation as to the why and how. (This is often done on hacker congresses which deploy their own gsm network) – user964970 Mar 21 '14 at 9:29

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.